These delicious healthy muffins are sure to give you the kick you need while you’re studying…and they taste good too, which is always a plus!
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 over ripe bananas
1/3 cup 2% milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup frozen blueberries
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flours, wheat germ, baking soda, and salt. Set aside
- In the bowl of a stand-mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each egg.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork and stir in the milk and the vanilla. Set aside.
- With you mixer on low, alternatively add the flour mixture and banana mixture into the bowl of the mixer that contains the butter. Make sure to start and end with the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Fold in the frozen blueberries.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Rotate the pan halfway through the cooking time.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfers to a wire rack to cool for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperate. May be frozen.
If you want to get creative, mix up the ingredients a little: add some orange or lemon juice for extra vitamin C, swap the blueberries with granny smith apples (because an apple a day keeps the doctor away), replace the banana with more berries for a nice mixed berry sensation, or add some cocoa or cinnamon for an extra flavour kick!